We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Read our disclosure policy.
When traveling to Bravaria, you should take time to spend at least one day in Munich. Known for Oktoberfest, Munich’s culture surpasses beer (although the beer is good enough to be known just for that!). Munich has a rich culture and beautiful architecture. If you are looking for things to experience in Munich, we have compiled a great list of 5 things you should be sure to see while there.
5 Things to Experience in Munich Germany
- Beer Garden. No trip to Munich is complete without a trip to a local beer garden. There are hop on hop off buses that will take you to breweries and even brewery tours at Hofbräuhaus. On our trip to Munich, we had the kids with us so we chose to spend an evening at Augustiner Keller. This beer garden seats you family-style in long tables where you share space with locals and tourists. Pretzels are provided with your beer and you pay depending on how many you eat. Food is also served and is typical German bar fare. Be sure to go in the evening when you can experience true German beer garden culture with the live band playing as you drink!
- Viktualienmarkt Munich. If you are looking for a souvenir, there is no better place to find a German trinket than at the local market. Vendors sell handmade goods, souvenirs, along side fresh fruits, vegetables and flowers. You will also find food vendors so it is a great place to have lunch or grab a beer. If you have time, you can also do a Bavarian food & drink tour of Viktualienmarkt.
- Spielzeugmuseum. Whether you are travelling with kids or are a kid at heart, one of the things to experience in Munich is the Toy Museum. Located in the Marienplatz, in the Old Rathausturm, the toy collection here dates back to 1800. This several story tower holds everything from a collection of teddy bears to vintage Disney toys. Prepare yourself for small spaces and a narrow winding staircase. Adults are 4 Euro, Kids 1 Euro or purchase the Family ticket for 8 Euro.
- Glokenspiel at Marienplatz. Marienplatz is the main square in Munich and it is home to the chiming clock tower. Every day at 11am, 12 and 5 pm (not in Winter) you will be able to see the Glokenspiel in action. Perched high in the tower, this cuckoo clock features motorized figurines that display a royal wedding, jousting tournament and traditional German dance. The show lasts about 15 minutes and ends with a cuckoo bird! We viewed from below, but I have heard that you can get a great view from Hugendubel bookstore across the square.
- St. Peter’s Church. This church is the oldest in the city and provides one of the best views of Munich. On a clear day, you can even see the Alps. Be prepared to walk the 299 steps and to pay a small fee.
Have you been to Bravaria? Do you have any favorite things to experience in Munich?