We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Feel like a vacation is out of reach financially? You don’t have to break the bank to get a great vacation your family will enjoy, you just need to know a few simple tips to save money on your vacation. It doesn’t matter your destination. With a little planning, you should be able to make that vacation a reality!
10 Tips to Save Money on your Vacation
1. Travel in the off season. Want to go to the beach? Go after Labor Day when the kids go back to school. Mountains? Go in the spring or summer months. Europe? Go any time other than the summer months! You will save at least 10-30% just by booking your accommodations in the off-season!
2. Consider Home Away if you are traveling with a large family. If you plan on staying a week or more, why stay in a small hotel room when you can get an entire condo or town home! Not only can you save money on your accommodations long-term, you can also save money by cooking instead of going out since you’ll have a full kitchen.
3. Purchase an Entertainment Book for the city in which you are travelling. These books are dirt cheap this time of year and can provide coupons for local entertainment, shopping and restaurants. It will more than pay for itself probably with just one use!
4. Purchase a CityPass if you are going to a big city. It will give you free admission into many local museums and tourist attractions (like aquariums and parks).Some will even get you free public transportation.
5. Grab brochures at the hotel or at the welcome center. Often there are money saving coupons! Also be sure to ask the hotel concierge. Hotels often work with local restaurants and area attractions in providing discount coupons and the concierge can point you to deals you may otherwise not be aware of.
6. If you are staying at a hotel, look for one that offers free breakfast. A breakfast for a family of 4 can easily reach $30. Even if you pay a little more for a hotel offering breakfast, I’m sure you will find you are saving money!
7. Check to see if you can get discounts for hotels and attractions through AAA or your credit card company. If you have one, always bring your student or military ID because some places will offer discounts as well.
8. Skip the taxi and rely on public transportation. Enough said.
9. Book flights with smaller airlines or opt out of direct flights. This is a huge money saver when it comes to international travel. If you are willing to have a layover in another country, you will save big. Plus, you might get enough time to see a few sites in a place you weren’t planning on seeing!
10. Buy attraction & tour tickets through a third party vendor or a trusted discount ticket broker instead of the direct website of the attraction. We have a few companies that we trust and one of our favorites is Undercover Tourist.
Do you have any other tips to save money on your vacation?